Friday, April 20, 2007

CCC Entry Eight

While i disagree with many of the beliefs of the Anabaptists, i think it is more because i disagree with their purpose behind the concepts of baptism and church and state. i do not believe that infant baptism is a symbol of pledging your life to God. I believe that baptism identifies that child as a member of the covenant community. [prof comment: a reformed position] it does not guarantee faith or salvation but rather provides a congregation to assist in the raising of the child according to scriptural teachings. it is both the parents and congregations pledge to raise the child in "the way he should go" so that "even when he is old he will not depart from it" (Prov22:6). The Anabaptist Vision writes that "only adult baptism could signify an intelligent life commitment" but i don't believe that the purpose of infant baptism is 'an intelligent life commitment' on the child's part. [prof comment: it's really child dedication]

As far as the complete separation of church and state, i feel that it is a very impractical demand. so much of the state is rooted in the same, if not similar moral beliefs of the church. The anabaptists also believe in separating themselves from the rest of the society and i think that too is very foolish. Jesus was surrounded by the secular world and sought out those who chose to most scandalous of worldly lifestyles. We, as Christians, are told to be in the world but not of the world and that is the life Jesus led. We are not impacting the world and spreading God's love by removing ourselves from it.

I am unsure of my position on pacifism. I guess I am mostly so afraid of such a radical idea of peace when war is so effective. I understand that it’s a horrible tool but I also see the many positive things in history that were results of a war. But when I think about it, I also know God can provide us with positive things through prayer and patience so obviously war shouldn’t be the only option. My thoughts at the moment are that I’m very thankful that I’m not in a position to have to decide such things of power and life or death consequences. It’s basically my same thoughts on the subject of capital punishment at this point in time. I hope my lack of opinion doesn’t come across as ignorance or unwillingness to answer the question because I have knowledge on both sides and that’s really what’s keeping me from a real stand on either side.

No comments: